Welcome Guest   Login or Create an account
LIVE CHAT | INSTANT MESSENGER | BOOKMARK US
FORUM
An Old Gamer New To Modding
        Total Views: 24686 - Total Replies: 20
Jan 14 2016, 1:54 pm - By StreetRat  ^DfM^
StreetRat  ^DfM^

Hey Stompem and gang,

My name is Tim, I used to go by StreetRat when I was heavily into the game and was in squads and such. I've been mapping almost as long as I have been playing the game, but I never got into modding, I just used what was in the MED and basically only ever made TDM maps anyway, so there was never much need for Events, Triggers, etc.

I don't want to bother you with a bunch of nagging question, especially since you don't know me at all, but I really want to learn how to MOD. I've got several of the tools already from NovaHq but I'm not real sure how to use them or how to get into the guts of the game to even begin. I want to add my own .wav files that I make, I would love to be able to learn to make buildings. I can't afford that 3D Studio program but I do use Google Sketchup, which is compatible with it. I have a lot of ideas, I just don't know how to implement them.

I know DFX2, as well as all of the other Novaworld games, are practically dead as far as player involvement goes, but I'm disabled and I have always loved mapping. I know also that no one but me and possibly my son will ever play any of the maps I build but I just love to build them and it gives me something to do to keep my mind occupied.

If y'all can help me out and maybe teach me a little bit, I would definitely be very grateful.

Thanks,

StreetRat (Tim)

Dec 08 2016, 8:49 pm - Replied by: RLC
RLC

Unless you have the same software that the game was built with, you will never be able to use your own creations. To make a "mod" for any game you need special software/de-compiler/compiler/ or a person who has it all and doesn't mind doing all the work, while you supply the files to insert into the mode which is recognized by the exe main game. Its a lot of time and know how. Compensation is always a good idea. From your post, you said you don't have a lot of financial backing! 1st problem!
Your best bet is to do a lot of research, and people who are willing to tutor you.
A lot of moders won't part with their knowledge or assets.
And "SKetchup" file formats aren't compatible with novalogic games.

good luck...

Dec 18 2016, 7:26 pm - Replied by: PXP Loki
PXP Loki

You are so Awesome !!!
Schizophrenia
Feb 04 2017, 12:13 pm - Replied by: 2DNED
2DNED

StreetRat wrote:

Hey Stompem and gang,

My name is Tim, I used to go by StreetRat when I was heavily into the game and was in squads and such. I've been mapping almost as long as I have been playing the game, but I never got into modding, I just used what was in the MED and basically only ever made TDM maps anyway, so there was never much need for Events, Triggers, etc.

I don't want to bother you with a bunch of nagging question, especially since you don't know me at all, but I really want to learn how to MOD. I've got several of the tools already from NovaHq but I'm not real sure how to use them or how to get into the guts of the game to even begin. I want to add my own .wav files that I make, I would love to be able to learn to make buildings. I can't afford that 3D Studio program but I do use Google Sketchup, which is compatible with it. I have a lot of ideas, I just don't know how to implement them.

I know DFX2, as well as all of the other Novaworld games, are practically dead as far as player involvement goes, but I'm disabled and I have always loved mapping. I know also that no one but me and possibly my son will ever play any of the maps I build but I just love to build them and it gives me something to do to keep my mind occupied.

If y'all can help me out and maybe teach me a little bit, I would definitely be very grateful.

Thanks,

StreetRat (Tim)

3dMax is FREE (2014-2017) you can build models in it and export the .ASE to the OED editor, save as 3di which goes into the game. Enter the new info into the ITEM.def.... It all is quite easy as i have just done it all in basic form

You can use Turbo Squid models for the textures and add collision boxes...

IF you want a hand or need some info simply contact me and i will help where i can.

www.df-mods.com

Dedicated Mod site for Novalogic games

Feb 05 2017, 1:24 pm - Replied by: StreetRat  ^DfM^
StreetRat  ^DfM^

Where is 3dMax free? I have looked everywhere and the only free version I can find is the Student version. Thanks for the offer of help! I surely need it.
Feb 06 2017, 1:59 am - Replied by: 2DNED
2DNED

Yes Student copy is full version.
just sign up make up ur own institute (Jedi Knight Academy)...

www.df-mods.com

Feb 08 2017, 9:57 am - Replied by: StreetRat  ^DfM^
StreetRat  ^DfM^

I figured that out about 8 hours before you replied lol. Do you have any idea how to extract 3di files, convert then back to either 3da or .obj files so they can be edited? I know it can be done, I've got a folder full of one items folder from the JO game. I'd like to have the ones from the DFX2 game.
Feb 08 2017, 3:08 pm - Replied by: 2DNED
2DNED

to make it easy DFReload.com have already converted JO-DFX in .obj form. :)

http://www.dfreload.com/forum/files.php?action=file&id=636

http://www.dfreload.com/forum/files.php?action=file&id=637

When using 3dmax open it with the bhd_blank_scene.max so it is scaled properly

www.df-mods.com

Feb 13 2017, 8:29 am - Replied by: stompem
stompem

StreetRat wrote:

Hey Stompem and gang,

Thanks,

StreetRat (Tim)

Hi Tim, this is Stompem here...

Perhaps I can assist you there mate, I'm busy but I'm willing to make time for you.

So how about you send me some of your best maps with the MIS and I'll play them and I'll see if we can't prepare a mission to host online for you at ![GSP].

If you're interested go to NHQ and you can upload some of your maps as zipped files there, you can do it inside any forum post by selecting manage attachments.

Cheers & Best of luck!

NovaHQ 

Delta Force and Joint Ops Resource Site

*DELTA FORCE APPS - Play BHD with custom features enabled + 3 levels of difficulty.
Download It Here... AI Control For BHD & TS
Feb 13 2017, 2:23 pm - Replied by: StreetRat  ^DfM^
StreetRat  ^DfM^

Hey Stompem! Thanks for the offer buddy, I really appreciate it but I don't have any maps at the moment. I WISHED I still had all the ones I made back in the day, then I could zip as many as ya wanted 'cause I built over 200 during the height of my playing time.

My plan for my Mod, which isn't going to be huge by any stretch of the imagination, is all going to be done in Campaign mode. Of course, people will be able to add maps to it just like they can now with all the other games and Mods out there, but I want mine to flow in a time line, story-based layout.

I'm going to take some of the original buildings and a few buildings from a couple of Mods, and modify them to suit the overall look and purpose of my Mod and once I get that done and all the assets in place, then I will start building the maps, which I'm going to make as detailed and true to actual life as possible within the limits of the Novalogic game and logic engines.

Once I get it finished and if it turns out anywhere near my expectations, then I'm going to take a serious look at a small indie FPS Delta Force type game. I'm disabled so I have a lot of time to fool around with this stuff, whereas I'm sure you're pretty busy, as you stated above.

I really do appreciate your offer and all the help you and your team mates have given me so far. You are definitely a great bunch of guys.

Tim

Feb 13 2017, 2:36 pm - Replied by: stompem
stompem

StreetRat wrote:
Hey Stompem! Thanks for the offer buddy, I really appreciate it but I don't have any maps at the moment. I WISHED I still had all the ones I made back in the day, then I could zip as many as ya wanted 'cause I built over 200 during the height of my playing time.

My plan for my Mod, which isn't going to be huge by any stretch of the imagination, is all going to be done in Campaign mode. Of course, people will be able to add maps to it just like they can now with all the other games and Mods out there, but I want mine to flow in a time line, story-based layout.

I'm going to take some of the original buildings and a few buildings from a couple of Mods, and modify them to suit the overall look and purpose of my Mod and once I get that done and all the assets in place, then I will start building the maps, which I'm going to make as detailed and true to actual life as possible within the limits of the Novalogic game and logic engines.

Once I get it finished and if it turns out anywhere near my expectations, then I'm going to take a serious look at a small indie FPS Delta Force type game. I'm disabled so I have a lot of time to fool around with this stuff, whereas I'm sure you're pretty busy, as you stated above.

I really do appreciate your offer and all the help you and your team mates have given me so far. You are definitely a great bunch of guys.

Tim

Ref: - The Mod Tools List & Overview.pdf

Object Editor (OED)
With OED, you can create new objects for your missions. Object types include weapons,buildings, vehicles, foliage, decorations, and the other objects that you can insert into missions using the Mission Editor (MED) that shipped with the Black Hawk Down game.

Read the Object Tutorial for a tutorial describing how to create a new building, starting with creating the object in 3D Studio Max, and taking it through to the mission editor.

The OED Manual describes the detailed functionality of the OED.The OED tool is named df4oed.

Terrain Generator
The Terrain Generator tool pulls together all the different terrain image files that you create in other programs such as Adobe PhotoShop.

Refer to the Terrain Generator Overview document for more information. The Terrain Generator tool is named TrnGen.
NovaHQ 

Delta Force and Joint Ops Resource Site

*DELTA FORCE APPS - Play BHD with custom features enabled + 3 levels of difficulty.
Download It Here... AI Control For BHD & TS

© Copyright 2024 Novalogic Inc