Welcome Guest   Login or Create an account
LIVE CHAT | INSTANT MESSENGER | BOOKMARK US
FORUM
Main Forum Index » Support Forums » General Support Discussions » Support for specific games
Sub-Forum Joint Operations
Topic Nova world down?
Nova world down?
        Total Views: 3964 - Total Replies: 14
Jan 24 2018, 12:27 pm - By PFG-Zuh
PFG-Zuh

Hey all;

Been trying to log into novaworld today a few times and keep getting timed out. Are the servers down? Or are you gone for good which I hope is a no. The game played fine yesterday. Does anybody even check these messages?

Thanks for any reply;
PFGZuh
Jan 24 2018, 12:57 pm - Replied by: RR-Crispy-Duck  -RR-
RR-Crispy-Duck  -RR-

Me too, was playing this lunch time but kept getting booted out with an error.  Noticed a flashing Novaworld icon flashing in the top right corner of the screen, what do that mean? Anyone know? Thanks
Jan 24 2018, 1:05 pm - Replied by: CC R  -Fyc-
CC R  -Fyc-

RR-Crispy-Duck wrote:
Me too, was playing this lunch time but kept getting booted out with an error.  Noticed a flashing Novaworld icon flashing in the top right corner of the screen, what do that mean? Anyone know? Thanks
As always it's back up again
Jan 24 2018, 1:48 pm - Replied by: RR-Crispy-Duck  -RR-
RR-Crispy-Duck  -RR-

Yep, back up for me too... anyone know what the flashing colour Novaworld Icon in the top right hand corner is? or Was today?

Jan 25 2018, 3:16 am - Replied by: PLAzmA
PLAzmA

The flashing N is shown when your system cant reach one of nova worlds servers anymore and only show whilst already in a game. 

If your ever in a server/map and you see this, be mindful if you disconnect from that server you likely wont be able to sign back onto another server until its fixed, so if you want to continue to play its best to stay connected to the server your already on.

Assuming they fix it fast the N will stop flashing and you know its all good again, however in the past (although its rare) ive seen myself and other people get ejected from servers and having to rejoin as nova servers comes back up. 

But i suspect this is down to whats wrong with the server and what happens when its fixed, if its just a connection issue and it comes back you should be fine, but i suspect if the servers restarted completely all the session data is lost and when it comes back in a virgin state thats the reason why people get ejected on rare occasions.

It does make me wonder if the servers still run on the same hardware that it was from way back when nova shut up shop... fans and hard drives have a finite life and every time it goes offline i do wonder what its running on now.
Jan 25 2018, 8:00 am - Replied by: PFG-Zuh
PFG-Zuh

Thanks for all the reply's. It seems to be back up and running now, so maybe it was just down yesterday.
Jan 26 2018, 6:47 pm - Replied by: DVS14U2-PXP  -PxP-
DVS14U2-PXP  -PxP-

It happen, moma says life is life a box of candy, you never know what your gona get ???
Jan 28 2018, 8:48 pm - Replied by: VeryStableGenius
VeryStableGenius

PLAzmA wrote:
The flashing N is shown when your system cant reach one of nova worlds servers anymore and only show whilst already in a game. 

If your ever in a server/map and you see this, be mindful if you disconnect from that server you likely wont be able to sign back onto another server until its fixed, so if you want to continue to play its best to stay connected to the server your already on.

Assuming they fix it fast the N will stop flashing and you know its all good again, however in the past (although its rare) ive seen myself and other people get ejected from servers and having to rejoin as nova servers comes back up. 

But i suspect this is down to whats wrong with the server and what happens when its fixed, if its just a connection issue and it comes back you should be fine, but i suspect if the servers restarted completely all the session data is lost and when it comes back in a virgin state thats the reason why people get ejected on rare occasions.

It does make me wonder if the servers still run on the same hardware that it was from way back when nova shut up shop... fans and hard drives have a finite life and every time it goes offline i do wonder what its running on now.
I doubt anyone is actively restarting the servers or doing any maintenance whatsoever on them. After all, their web servers are still running IIS 6.0 which means they're still running Windows Server 2003 and that OS hasn't received patches since 2015. 

I also know they're running their servers in a datacenter in California, but I don't know if the company is managing it or if they just colocated their own hardware. That's a good question, because if it hits the fan and no one is around to fix it, NovaWorld could disappear any second. And THQ certainly doesn't seem too concerned with it. They won't even return support emails relating to NovaLogic.

Buckle up, everyone. The end is a long time coming. What an unfortunate day that will be.
Jan 29 2018, 5:07 am - Replied by: PLAzmA
PLAzmA

@X Psych Ting

I think there has to be someone restarting something when things like the login database/connector falls over, or like the issue last week it would have never come back.

I sort of hope that they moved all the systems into some form of visualised environment (say under a hyperV system) so its running on modern hardware and can be migrated should it suddenly go pop.

I did hear a rumour a long time ago that when nova shut up shop at the offices that the servers were relocated to some guys (previous employee) garage for a time and john g basically was paying him to continue to host them.. not sure how true this is.. i took it with a pinch of salt at the time, although prior to thq taking control there was a long outage one august and again im sure i read some place that the reason it took so long was someone was away on holiday.

I can see that the IP's are owned by https://www.keyinfo.com/ So one would hope they are actually hosting things now, on what we can only guess.

But its not to hard to take an old dying windows server, clone the disk and then make it a VM ive done a few in the past where hardware was on deaths door.

But recently its gone down a few times (few hours upto a day), but then it came back, so someone somewhere knows who to contact to get it going again, ive a feeling its someone here that knows who to contact in such times, but for fear of having everyone start flooding them with questions and support requests they keep quite...

Im not sure what THQ are paying to keep it going, but i think as long as they manage a few steam sales every month and largely break even (and make a little profit) by the end of each year they will continue to keep it running.

Scott from Nova HQ has been able to create an alternative for older nova games and ive had discussion with him last year regarding the possibility of doing the same for the later games like jo, however its not as simple to do, but technically it is a hypothetical  possibility.
Jan 29 2018, 6:07 am - Replied by: MOXEE.  -USM-
MOXEE.  -USM-

X Psych Ting and PLAzmA are the best two gum shoes i have ever seen.
http://www.novaworld2.com/index.php?idtag=5f2da7e5a1872&do=/public/user/name_MOXEE./
Jan 29 2018, 12:02 pm - Replied by: PLAzmA
PLAzmA

© Copyright 2024 Novalogic Inc